Using the Item table, you can create, edit, and delete items (SKUs). For information on viewing items, see View Items.
If you will be working with Kits or KODs (Kits on Demand), you will need to create the top level Kit SKU (the SKU available for ordering) and any Component SKUs (SKUs to be included in the Kit) before you can create the Kit in Infoplus. See Create a Kit for more information.
NOTE: As part of your Infoplus setup, a master record will have been created for each Line of Business which contains defaults for many fields in a new item record. When you see completed fields in a new record, it is likely coming from that master record. You can leave the default, or modify the field.
Create an Item
- Access the "Item" table. Two methods:
From the Dashboard: Click the “Warehouse Operations” tab, click the “Item Management” App, then click the “Item” Table.
From the Quick Actions shortcut: Press a dot (period) on your keyboard, then select “Item” from the list of Quick Actions.
- Click the Create New button in the top right. The "Creating New Item" screen appears.
NOTE: The "Attach Primary Image" and "Attach Pick Image" areas of the window will not appear until after you have selected a Line of Business (LOB).
Complete the necessary fields at the top.
- Enter a SKU for the item.
--You may use up to 100 characters. These may include:
- Capital letters: A–Z (Infoplus will automatically change lowercase letters to capital letters)
- Numbers: 0–9
- Special characters: # _ - / . ( )
- Spaces (do not use groups of two or more spaces together)
--Examples of allowed SKUs:
CORNER BLOCK (LARGE)
--Examples of disallowed SKUs:
PQR-16^2 uses the special character ^
CORNER BLOCK (MEDIUM) uses more than 20 characters
361_74# JK/L uses two spaces in a row
- Select a Line of Business in the LOB field.
- Enter a description for the item into the Item Description field (i.e., Generic White Binders). You may use up to 40 characters for this field.
- Enter an Additional Description, if desired.
NOTE: When viewing an item, there's also a Full Description field. Full Description is the combination of the Item Description and the Additional Description.
- Enter a Packing Slip Description, if desired. (This can be used as the Line Item Description in the Packing Slip Template.)
- Enter a Vendor SKU, if applicable (i.e., if you need to display the Vendor SKU on the packing list).
- Enter a UPC, if applicable (i.e., if you need to display the UPC on the packing list. It is listed under the Alcohol tab at the bottom of the screen).
- Select a Unit Description from the drop-down menu (i.e., each, binders, bottles, pads, etc.).
-Here is an article on how to create, edit, and delete Unit Descriptions.
- Enter the Units Weight (lbs) (i.e., the total weight of a wrapped unit impacts shipping selections and requirements).
- Modify the Status of the item, if needed.
--Print on Demand: Is not stocked and is produced when ordered
--Active: Can be ordered and will be restocked when inventory is low
--Deplete: Is stocked but is not planned to be reproduced
--Blocked: Can no longer be ordered or replenished
--Placeholder: Is created but the item itself is not orderable or stocked
--Outside Vendor: Will be fulfilled by an outside business partner
If desired, attach a Primary and/or Pick image to the Item record. A "Primary" image is typically what the individual item looks like (i.e., if selling binders, it's an image of the binder). The "Pick" image is what a shipment of the item looks like (i.e., an image of the box of binders). This "Pick" image provides receivers and warehouse operations teams with a visual check of the item being picked for shipping. Here are the steps to add an image file:
Either drag and drop the file onto the shaded area, or click the Select File link and browse to the image file on your computer. The "Crop Image" window will display after you have selected your image.
- Image file type must be .png or .jpg
- Image file size cannot be larger than 2MB
- Image resolution cannot be less than 160 x 160
- In the "Crop Image" window, drag the selection handles to crop the image, if necessary.
- Click Save Image. The image appears in the item record. If you want to crop or delete the image, click the links above the image.
In the Alcohol tab at the bottom of the window, enter the necessary information. (This tab will only be needed if you work with alcohol items.)
In the Catalog tab at the bottom of the window, you can connect items to a catalog. Required fields should default to common selections.
NOTE: This is often used by third party logistics companies who have catalogs that break items into Categories, and who use the Sector field to control who can see the item in the catalog.
In the Details tab at the bottom of the window, enter/modify fields as needed. Required fields should default to common selections, but you can override fields as needed.
- NMFC Code: Select the NMFC (National Motor Freight Classification) code to associate to the item. When producing a Bill of Lading that contains this item, the NMFC code will appear. Please contact Infoplus Support to add additional NMFC codes to this list as needed.
- Commodity Code: Select the Commodity Code to associate to the item. If this item will be used for international shipping, this is the code that will be sent to U.S. Customs as part of the request for international shipping labels. To add new codes to the list, please add them in the Commodity Code table.
In the Operations tab at the bottom of the window, specify warehouse operations with regards to this item. Required fields should default to common selections, but you can override fields as needed. Here are descriptions of notable fields:
- Lot Mixing Rules: Select how the item is to be stored in Forward and Storage locations: with items from the same Item Receipt, with the same Inventory Properties (e.g. Production Lot), or simply with the same SKU (regardless of other properties). See the Overview of Lot and Item Mixing Rules for more information.
- Item Mixing Rules: Select whether this item is allowed to mix with other items in Forward and Storage locations. If it can mix with different items, select Multi. If it is to be stored by itself, select Single. See the Overview of Lot and Item Mixing Rules for more information.
- Allocation Rule: Select whether allocation of this item be guided by Strict FIFO, Weak FIFO, or Labor Optimized.
- Length, Width, Height: Enter the dimensions of the item for packing purposes
- Top up: If the item should always be placed into a package with the top up, select True.
- Ship Solo: If the item should always be shipped alone, select True.
- Serial Code: Select whether the item contains serial numbers that must be recorded for inbound and outbound, or outbound only shipments; or sequential numbering that must be recorded for an outbound shipment.
- Secure: If the item needs to be in secure storage, select Yes.
- Barcode Field: If the picker will be prompted to scan this item when picking, this field needs to indicate what the item's barcode represents: SKU, UPC, Vendor SKU, Product ID Tag, or a Custom Field. NOTE: The Pick Scan Scheme is what determines if a prompt should appear to scan an item when picking.
- Warehouse Display Field: If Pick documents should display information from a particular field in the SKU section, select SKU, UPC, Vendor SKU, Product ID Tag, or a Custom Field. SKU is the default when no value is selected.
- Product ID Tag Scheme: If you want to track this item by a Product ID Tag (an ID assigned to an item to provide an additional level of tracking), select the Product ID Tag scheme to use. See Create and Use a Product ID Tag Scheme for more information.
- Receiving Criteria Scheme: If you have diverse receiving criteria, on a per Item basis you can assign Receiving Criteria Schemes to Items to be used during Interactive Receiving. See Warehouse App - Interactive Receiving for more information.
- ASN Rule - You have the ability choose three different options on how you want to receive this Item via the Interactive Receiving app. You can require an ASN for receiving (ASN Required), you can do both ASN's and Blind Receipts (ASN Allowed) or you can choose to only allow Blind Receipts (ASN not Allowed). See Blind Receiving without ASN for more information.
- Inner Pack Barcode: If you have the Quantity per Inner Pack field populated with a quantity, you can add a barcode value if your boxes have barcodes for the quantity.
- Case Barcode: If you have the Quantity per Case field populated with a quantity, you can add a barcode value if your boxes have barcodes for the quantity.
- Pallet Barcode: If you have the Quantity per Pallet field populated with a quantity, you can add a barcode value if your boxes have barcodes for the quantity.
- Casebreak Enabled: If the item can be picked as a case, have the parcel label applied at the point of picking, and then be taken straight to shipping, select Yes. If the item should be picked and packed as eaches into a carton, select No. If you leave the field blank, the default is No.
- Assembly Instructions: Enter any special assembly instructions for this item (e.g. Use double bubble wrap for this item).These instructions will display on the Order Assembly Guide.
In the Purchasing tab at the bottom of the window, specify purchasing criteria for this item. For example, if this item can be back-ordered, select Yes in the "Backorder" field. In the "Low Stock Contact" field, specify who should be notified when the item is low on stock.
In the Stock Status tab at the bottom of the window, indicate, if desired, a level at which the item should be considered for reordering. This can be done with a fixed reorder point (quantity) or lead time (in days). These settings are optional.
- Type: If you have multiple warehouses, selections for each building will display. If you want to make selections across all warehousess, use the "Overall" Type. If you only have one warehouse, the "Overall" Type will be the only one displayed.
- Fixed Reorder Point: Type the quantity at which the "Low Stock Contact" should be notified of low stock so items can be reordered. The "Low Stock Contact" is selected under the Purchasing tab.
- Lead Time: Type in the amount of lead time (in days) when the "Low Stock Contact" should be notified of low stock. For example, to be notified when stock is down to a 30-day supply, type 30. The "Low Stock Contact" is selected under the Purchasing tab.
When finished creating the item, click Save. The Item is saved.
Edit an Item
NOTE: You can edit one item at a time (instructions below) or edit multiple items at once using Bulk Edit.
- Access the “Item” table. (See instructions above.)
- Click on the item you want to edit.
- Click the Edit button at the bottom of the window.
- Make the necessary edits. (Refer to field descriptions above.)
NOTE: To edit the Item's Status, click the Change link that appears next to the Status field. See Change Item Status for more information.
- When finished, click Save.
- Access the “Item” table. (See instructions above.)
- Click on the item you want to duplicate.
- From the Actions menu, select Duplicate.
- Change the SKU, along with any other fields that need changed, then click save.
- Access the “Item” table. (See instructions above.)
- Click on the item you want to delete.
- From the Actions menu, select Delete.
- Click OK through the confirmation message.